Friday, September 25, 2009

Welcome

I am always amazed at the attitude among some in public and private sector law enforcement that the most expensive gear is always the best. While there are often excellent products being developed and marketed, there are many products that have gone through many years of field testing that are often more moderately priced, and great products that don't get any press. Too often, reviews are advertising-driven. Have you ever noticed when reading some of the more popular firearms monthlies, that a company that never advertises with them suddenly runs a two-page spread on the same month the magazine runs a sterling review of their products? When is the last time you read a review, where the author stated "we couldn't get this pistol to run properly with any ammunition we tried!," or " the stitching was already coming undone" on a holster. Yet most of us have at one time had these types of problems with equipment.

My mission here is to solicit reviews and commentary from armed professionals on gear that works, but not just firearms. I would like to offer information on firearms accessories, tools, knives, cases/bags.

I will only be addressing "real-world" use, not sandbox testing. The conditions experienced in the field of operations in Iraq and Afghanistan are almost irrelevant to this discussion, with the exception of products such as firearms lubricants. If you really want to read reviews of products that were run over by a Bradley, buried in the sand, and then tested at the range, then I suggest that there may be something for you over at www.ar15.com on one of their boards (www.ar15.com is a favorite of mine for issues like this).

I will be soliciting articles from friends in security and law enforcement on equipment they like and have really utilized. I would also like input from readers on equipment they would like to know more about. It would be helpful when submitting info here, to provide a short curriculum vitae, similar to "about me" section as it helps others understand where you are coming from.

My first real post will be about my own equipment, the stuff I have used over the years, and some products I used along the way that didn't work so well.

1 comment: